- Cart is empty
A High Definition LCD, LED LCD or plasma TV delivers brilliant pictures, but vision is only half the HD equation. High-def surround sound transforms the entertainment experience, creating the ultimate home theatre in your own living room.
Enjoy High Definition
High Definition broadcasts, movies and games offer a complete entertainment experience. Combining crystal clear pictures and supreme surround sound means that enjoying HD in the intimacy of your living room can offer even greater sensory stimulation than the cinema. Unfortunately, many people don't experience high-def in all its glory.
If you want the ultimate High Definition experience, it's important to remember that vision is only half of the equation. To enjoy the full benefits of HD, you'll need to immerse yourself in surround sound too. If you take the following points into consideration, you'll be well on the way to the ultimate HD set-up.
LCD, LED LCD Or Plasma?
The most important thing to consider when deciding between Plasma, LCD and LED LCD is your viewing environment.
Faster Pictures, Smoother Motion
Fast motion, like sport or action movies, looks best on a TV with quick, smooth picture transition.
- Look for the lowest response time possible; 8ms is a good benchmark for performance.
- When it comes to refresh rates, if you're leaning towards buying an LCD television, aim for 200Hz (100Hz as a minimum). If you're looking at a plasma TV, aim for 600Hz.
- Progressive scan televisions (e.g. 1080p) deliver the best resolution for fast moving action.
Higher Resolution For Sharp Pictures
Screen resolution is the number of horizontal and vertical pixels. The more pixels per square inch, the higher the resolution.
|Resolution||Horizontal Pixels||Vertical Pixels||Total Pixels|
High Definition is a resolution of at least 576p. Most networks broadcast HD content in 720p or 1080i, so if you want to make the most of all HD content, then you should aim for the highest resolution TV that you can afford.
- Some sports are broadcast at a resolution of 1080i.
- Blu-ray discs play at 1080p resolution. Without a 1080p TV, you won't experience all that Blu ray has to offer
Surround Sound For Maximum Impact
With so much attention on High Definition visuals it's easy to forget that the picture is only half the experience. Surround sound takes your HD experience to the next level, immersing you in another world.
Record All The Action!
Watching your favourite footy team or your favourite show live isn't always possible. A Personal Video Recorder (PVR) enables you to decide when and how you watch your sport with some clever features:
Watch Blu-ray Movies On High Definition
If you've gone to the trouble and expense of buying a 1080p HDTV and surround sound system, the only way to take full advantage of them when watching movies is through Blu-ray. Blu-ray provides superior resolution to DVDs and TV, and rich HD surround sound.
- Blu-ray's maximum resolution is 1,920×1,080 (1080p).
- Blu-ray utilises superior video-compression methods for more contrast and richer colour.
- Blu ray offers a full HD audio experience in 5.1 and 7.1 channel surround sound.
- Access menu functions and director commentary while watching a movie.
- Display a second image in a sub-window.